Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Restraint

My name is Luke Palmer.

I have been practicing karate since I was 5 years old. I am now 14 years old and I live to the code taught to me by Shihan Norman Robinson. This code is the basis for how I live my life: Character, Sincerity, Effort, Etiquette and Self Control. Through this I have become a man.

I never tell anyone that I do karate as it my secret, it is for me, about me, it is me .
 
Now that you know a little about me I would like to tell you a short story. This story is about the hardest thing I have ever had to:

This year there have been two boys who have ganged up on me. They verbally challenged me and attacked my character, and they have made my life a misery. This is when things became very difficult because they are smaller than me, they have probably have never thrown a punch before or even been in a real fight... I know this. I also know that if I got into a fight with them, IT WOULD BE CARNAGE. You have no idea how I wanted to beat these boys to a pulp, but I know that I am a trained fighter, I know that I am bigger, I know that I am better.

But my ego has taken a beating!

None the less, I know that once you are a 'weapon', you have to take responsibility, you have to act differently, you have to be mature, you have to put your ego aside and do the hardest thing you will ever have to do - exercise restraint. The training you get through karate is what gets you through these situations, not only the physical side but also the mental side.
 
Through my time since I started teaching, it has been tough and hard to find different ways to teach different children. It has taught me to have character and respect for the little ones since they have a lot of spirit and love for the sport. When I see them training well, it makes me feel great that I have taught them well. Even children who aren't the best at karate... I also have a lot of respect for them, as they still at least try their best and in doing so, they become better in their own way.
 
Through the maxims that we are taught I will be able to handle many different situations, with dignity for myself and other people.
 
This is what drives me towards getting a Black Belt, a goal that I have worked for since I started karate all those years ago. I have always looked up to our Black Belts for their knowledge and respect for me and for helping me become better. When I become a Black belt I hope that I will gain the same respect from others that I have had for our Black Belts.

I thank the karate dojo and all the Senseis who have taught me, for giving me more character and self control - when I wanted to lose my temper, I have been able to hold it back.
 
In the words of Rudyard Kipling in his poem "IF", and I quote:

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Then you are a man my son."

Luke Palmer (Brown belt)

No comments:

Post a Comment