Monday, February 11, 2013

Personal growth in kumite


I believe there are two types of karateka - those that love fighting and have a natural aptitude for it and those that have to learn to fight. Since karate is at heart a fighting art, one is compelled to do kumite if one is to progress at all in karate.

I am definitely one of those who had to learn to fight - although I loved the rough and tumble of rugby and judo as a youngster, I always steered clear of 'real fighting' that involved punching. This was confirmed when I was forced to try out for boxing during my National Service - a very quick blood nose confirmed that fighting was not for me.

I have finally progressed to 4th Dan level and have been involved in teaching for a few years now - and I can quickly identify the 'natural' fighters and those who feel the same way I used to.

This prompted me to say something about my own journey along the tricky path of learning to fight.

I recently had the opportunity to view a video of myself in action at a competition. I found it difficult to reconcile the karateka I saw in the video with my own image of myself and where I had been as a new black belt. The fighter I saw was aggressive and pushed forward continuously, trading techniques with his opponent and continuously trying to take the initiative. The fighter I had been previously was often on the retreat, concerned with blocking and counter-attacking, and on the back foot.

I liked the new fighter much better!

How did I get from the early defensive fighter to the newer more aggressive fighter?

The most important thing was that I had an excellent instructor (Shihan Norman Robinson).  He did three things:

1.    Created a safe environment in which to practice kumite;
2.    Encouraged a go-forward attitude at all times through his drills, instruction and example;
3.    Ensured we could experiment during kumite without fear of injury or loss of face.

The end product is a more confident fighter with a positive mindset and an ability to weather the odd bit of punishment, but still going forward. This is not to say that I have become a great fighter - not at all - simply that I have grown and that I am better than I was and enjoy it so much more than I used to.

So my message to those who worry about kumite is simple: "Find safe partners, get in there, and play". Kunite is like most things in life: the more we do it the better we become.
Alan King

No comments:

Post a Comment