Friday, January 25, 2013

A Parent's view of JKS SA

Dear Shihan Norman
Allow me a few thoughts on what makes JKS SA a great organisation!

When a parent gets involved in karate-do, they do so through the club their child joins. They do not have an idea about the sport, nor do they understand the concept of styles/federations or whether competitions are conducted via WKF/WUKO/WUKF/WKC rules. In short... they have no idea.

As time passes, they start realising that their club actually belongs to a specific style, and then the questions come: Why this style? What makes this style so great? Why should we stay with this style? What does this style do for my kid? Who are the people running this style? What makes them so great?
Allow me then to answer these questions via certain things that I have observed over just the last few months.
Two weeks before the KSA Cadet and Jnr SA's in Durban, my wife had to visit her parents in Bloemfontein and my children went with her. So, to ensure that my son keeps on training, I phoned Quintin Rourke and requested if it will be okay with him if Gerhard trains at his dojo. He said that it was fine and I thought that Gerhard would just join his normal classes to stay in shape. I was totally wrong! Quentin arranged special classes of two hours and more for two days to focus specifically on the KSA SA's, and he did it free of charge!
Thinking back to the JKS SA National Championships, I really experienced a sense of professionalism, from the organisers, all the way through to the referees and judges. At one stage I stood at the top stands and I looked down towards the competition area. I saw a well organised and professionally run tournament. Speaking to competitors and parents, everyone was happy about what they saw and experienced.
A while back, the TORA Karate Institute hosted a team challenge tournament, organised by senseis Pierre and Godfried. What a great success! Well organised, professionally run, and of a very high standard.
This past Saturday Gauteng North held its senior championships and I need to mention the following:

Sensei Andre, in his capacity as the newly elected vice-president of Karate Gauteng North, is really a huge asset in any karate organisation. The manner in which he conducted himself, ensuring that other people are well developed, says a lot. When he walks onto a tatami and shares his knowledge, people listen. One immediately gets the feeling that this is a man who knows what he is talking about, and karateka are all ears and showing respect. He acts on behalf of the students in KAGANO, making decisions for the better of the sport in KAGANO, and thus shows his leadership ability.

Then there's Sensei Lourencia, with all her experience and seniority, who is not afraid to fall in and train with the newly elected KAGANO coach and with a lot of other juniors. Sensei Godfried, at the age of 53, still competing and refereeing. Sensei Kobus, that arrives in his gi, showing his commitment towards KAGANO. Senior JKS karateka that compete and train, even though they are sick with the flu (sensei Chris).

After the GN Snr Championships I drove to Centurion where my son participated in a Champions Challenge. When I arrived there, I found sensei Godfried refereeing, again, An-roux Kok coaching as well as judging, sensei Filip coaching. Sensei Filip later came and coached and supported my son, without even being asked!

I researched the JKS karateka from Gauteng North that were selected for the Commonwealth Karate Championships and discovered that 51% of those karateka are from JKS SA!
I can go on and on and mention a lot of other names as well, but Shihan, in short, what makes JKS SA such a great style to belong to is:
 
  •  Leadership
  •  Individual commitment
  •  Unselfishness
  •  Professionalism
  •  Support
 
That is why I want to belong to and stay with JKS SA. This is what this style is doing for my son. This is what makes the people that run this style so great!!
Thank you Shihan for allowing me this opportunity to say "THANK YOU" to you and the people that make JKS SA such an unbelievable organisation.
Kind regards

Gerhard van Rensburg

No comments:

Post a Comment